Deforestation contributes more to global warming than all cars and trucks on the world’s roads
Deforestation contributes more to global warming than the sum total of all cars and trucks on the world’s roads… and over 1 billion trees are cut down each year to produce disposable diapers. Nice.
Deforestation adds more carbon dioxide to the atmosphere than the sum total of all cars and trucks on the world’s roads. Cars and trucks account for about 14 percent of global carbon emissions, while most analysts attribute upwards of 15 percent to deforestation.
I don’t know about you, but the idea that over 1 billion trees are cut down each year to produce disposable diapers, which are not necessary with cloth as an option, is really bothersome to me. It is just not sustainable…
“Any realistic plan to reduce global warming pollution sufficiently—and in time—to avoid dangerous consequences must rely in part on preserving tropical forests,” reports Environmental Defense Fund. source: scientificamerican.com
During the last several decades, disposable diapers have become a widely accepted alternative to cloth reusable diapers. Can you believe that Canadians throw out 1.7 billion disposable diapers each year? Holy crap! It’s a huge industry. It has been estimated that 95% of parents in Canada buy only disposable diapers.
Disposable diapers use 20 times more raw materials, 2 times more water and 3 times more energy to make than cloth diapers. If every family made the decision to pass on disposables and try cloth diapers… either doing it themselves or using a service, it would make an important positive impact toward combating climate change. Let’s do it!
- Deforestation contributes more to global warming than all cars and trucks on the world’s roads - November 12, 2016
- These are not the cloth diapers your parents remember! - September 15, 2016
- Early potty training is a BIG money saver! How?.. Cloth diaper your baby - June 22, 2016
- 3 major complaints families have about cloth diapering… - March 22, 2016
- 2 Important Reasons to Say NO to Disposable Diapers - January 2, 2016
- Wonderwear takes the work out of cloth diapering… it’s like using disposables. Seriously! - August 24, 2015
- Say no to diaper cakes! Consider cloth diaper service gift certificates for your registry or as a baby shower gift. - March 24, 2015
- 2014 was the hottest year on record. So what does that have to do with disposable diapers? - February 4, 2015
- Exploring cloth diaper materials - December 2, 2014
- Have you considered a doula? - November 18, 2014